Friday, December 17, 2010

A letter from the Time vault

My dear guests!

This is your innkeeper Larísa speaking, bringing a message from the future. Or the past. Whatever.

I always get a strange feeling when I prewrite blogposts for delayed publication as I’m off for holidays. It makes me think of Hari Seldon, the future predicting guru in one of the big reading experiences of my childhood, Foundation. You know the guy who every now and then makes a magical appearance as a projection in the time vault, demonstrating how he new everything in advance. Or maybe not.

Like it or not, there are things in the world that are beyond our control. Aircrafts can crash. (Even if it’s a lot less likely than that the car crashes on the way to the airport.) Servers can go down, wiping PPI from the world. And WoW could theoretically cease to exist (even if it seems rather unlikely at this very moment.) You just never know.

But provided that there won’t pop up an unpredictable pesky mutant, I predict that as you’re reading this post, you’ll find me strolling bare feet along a far distant shore as you read this. I’ll listen to the roar of the ocean rather than to the humming of a computer fan, I’ll fill my lungs with air rather than with dust and I’ll let my mind drift away to the stars rather than to Azeroth.

However, I haven’t left the inn to rot in the dust. As you might see, at least if you’re actually visiting the inn and not just reading it through a reader, I’ve hired someone who will keep an eye on the place in my absence, namely Tamarind of Righteous Orbs. He has promised to do some dusting and refilling of the kegs, and I think he scare away a troll or two if needed as well. If you notice anything weird going on at the inn, just send him a heads-up to morewitthanhonestyatgmaildotcom. I’ve trusted him with the keys.

I have put up a couple of posts for my absence. Nothing special, just a little greeting here and there and something to keep you occupied in case you run out of things to do. (Hm… wonder what that could be? I’ll give you a clue: it’s a PPI tradition!)

I’ll be back in January, probably tanned, but also quite clueless about anything WoW. From previous experiences of taking a break from WoW, I know that it only takes me a few days to completely forget about how to gear, what spells to cast or even how to move my character and use the camera properly. My muscle memory seems to have the span of five days as a maximum.

And that’s about it I think. I’ve filled my bags with books and left any electronic device at home. It’s time to unplug, which probably isn't a day too early.

Here's what I'd like you to do while I'm away:
  • Be nice to Tam.
  • Take care of each other.
  • Have fun.
See you on the other side of the New Year!

Hugs

Larísa

9 comments:

layteknight said...

Enjoy, Larísa!

Points for the Hari Seldon mention. Yours is not the only childhood that was marked by Foundation. :)

Klepsacovic said...

I dun wanna be scared away!

Rioriel said...

Have a well-earned break and happy holidays! Thanks for all the hits that you send my way, it's like two-thirds of my traffic.

Elune bless you,

~ Rio x

SpiritusRex said...

Enjoy your vacation and Happy Holidays!!!

Redbeard said...

That's Larisa, our own personal Chromie!

Have a good vacation and great holidays!

Don't worry about Tam. We won't hurt him.... much.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your break! time away from WoW is important as well. :)

Loronar

Ophelie said...

Have a safe trip! We'll miss youuuuuuu!

Azryu said...

I looked back at your old posts from December of last year to remind me of what that "tradition" was...

and I seen Elnia's post "Near the Wild Heart".

I'm not going to lie, I really wish I knew if and where he writes today. He was extraordinarily good. I reread that post and crave for more :( Not necessarily WoW related even, just MORE..

Anyone know if Elnia/Daniel still writes? I'd appreciate it a TON.

Larísa said...

@All: I'm back! And I had a blast. WoW felt very distant; I didn't pay it any thought at all to be honest. And that is just as it should be. Now I'm trying to get back into the swing again. It will take some time. Just to catch up on what's been up in the blogosphere... oh well. I'll get there eventually.

@Azryu: Elnia was a good writer indeed, but I'm afraid I have no idea about his whereabouts these days or if he even plays WoW at all.